Step-up to 1st AD for HETV or film
- Are you an experienced 2nd assistant director working in HETV and/or feature Films who is looking to step up to 1st AD?
- Are you an experienced 3rd assistant director, with a little 2nd experience, working in HETV and/or feature films who is looking to step up to 1st AD?
- Are you a recently stepped-up 1st AD looking to consolidate your knowledge and gain more confidence in the role?
The step-up to 1st AD online training course will enable 60 participants working in HETV and film across the UK to gain the necessary skills and knowledge to step-up to 1st assistant directors.
In addition, and following on from the training programme, there will be up to 25 funded placements as 1st AD available for participants who complete the course.
The free course will be taught by a highly experienced assistant director and working 1st AD guest speaker(s), and is aimed at ensuring that UK productions have access to a cohort of skilled and educated 1st assistant directors who can bring increased value to the production chain.
This programme is supported by the ScreenSkills High-end TV Skills Fund with contributions from UK high-end TV productions and by ScreenSkills as part of the BFI Future Film Skills programme using funds from the National Lottery
Who it's for
- Professional ADs who have held the position of 2nd on at least three significant HETV productions and/or feature films or
- Professional Assistant Directors who have held the position 3rd AD on at least three significant HETV productions and/or feature films, and have some 2nd AD experience (e.g. short film) or
- Recently stepped-up 1st ADs in HETV and/or film looking to consolidate their knowledge and gain more confidence in the role
What it covers
Assistant Directors need to be equipped to understand the necessary approach to take in what is a sensitive position, given that they are often torn between the needs of the direction and the requests of the production. This training course will ensure that participants are better placed to serve both producers and directors, as well as maintaining a safe environment on set and ensuring they remain mentally healthy throughout the shoot process.
This training course is an opportunity for individuals to not only improve their technical AD skills but also their softer, leadership and management skills, to enable them to be ready to step up to 1st AD.
By the end of this training course participants will have:
- been trained by respected and established colleagues
- in depth understanding of the role and responsibilities of 1st AD
- gained a more detailed understanding of scheduling and the practical implications on the production process
- learned about budgeting and budget management requirements of the role
- knowledge of the health and safety requirements for the role, including running safety briefings
- knowledge of the paperwork and reports expected of a 1st AD
- learned how to manage and run a large busy set
- learned how to position themselves within both the operational and the creative process
- shared their knowledge, experience and concerns with colleagues and peers
- had the benefit of a peer support network
How to apply
This course will run online across two Saturdays in March. You must be available to attend both sessions.
Choose your preferred course dates and click 'apply now' to submit your application.