ScreenSkills is the industry-led skills body for the screen industries – film, television (including children's, unscripted and high-end), VFX (visual effects), animation and games. We are supporting continued growth and future innovation across the country by investing in the skilled and inclusive workforce who are critical to the UK screen industries' global success.
We provide insight, career development and other opportunities to help people get into the industry and progress within it.
Our work includes:
- Identifying skills gaps – current and future – across the screen industries and the whole of the country to provide an evidence base for investment in skills and training
- Providing careers information
- Mapping and quality-marking professional pathways to improve entry-level diversity and work readiness
- Supporting development at every stage of a professional career in screen including through mentoring and offering bursaries.
Our approach is:
- Industry-informed and owned: shaped by business intelligence and industry demands
- Efficient: direct industry input delivers skills and training to meet priority needs
- Partnership-led: harnessing the expertise of trade bodies, agencies, guilds, broadcasters, indies and others including the Royal Television Society, BAFTA and the BFI
- Inclusive and accessible: embedding diversity in the workforce we help build.
Our revenue includes:
- Contributions paid by industry into the Film/High-end TV/Children's TV/Television/Animation Skills Funds
- National Lottery funds awarded by the BFI as part of the Future Film Skills strategy
- Awards from partner organisations such as Arts Council England.
In a fragmented industry where many key workers are freelance, we provide targeted, efficient interventions to retain and build the skilled workforce which underpins the UK’s screen success. Partnership with other organisations such as Creative & Cultural Skills (CCS), who support the broader arts, reinforces key messaging on the importance of skills and training – built on a good, rounded education in schools – to the country’s thriving creative industries.
How we do it
ScreenSkills supports talent at every level, from new entrants to programmes for mid-career professionals and executives and across the industry, from production accounting to exhibition and grips to writers.
We provide or are developing services to support the finding, nurturing and retention of award-winning talent including:
- Careers information: offering crucial information on the jobs in screen and pathways to them
- Apprenticeships: creating new apprenticeship standards to answer skills needs
- Skills forecasting: gathering robust evidence to inform skills investment
- Mentoring: a standardised mentoring programme for talent at all levels
- Centres of Excellence: targeted skills development across nations and regions
- Quality marking - ScreenSkills Select: signposting higher and further education courses identified by practitioners as relevant to working in the industry
- Bursaries: support for those who need help with fees, transport, living or childcare costs
- Training: world-class professional development courses.
ScreenSkills is a registered charity, no. 1015324, and on the Scottish Charity Register no. SC039556. It is also a company registered as ScreenSkills, company no. 2576828. Its registered address is the head office at ScreenSkills, Ibex House, 42-47 Minories, London, EC3N1DY