Step up to shooting AP - Glasgow
This course will involve 3 x weekends of face-to-face training, plus additional online masterclasses:
- 19th &20th November
- 3rd & 4th December
- 17th & 18th December
Are you looking to make the step up to fully fledged shooting AP?
This new, highly practical, extensive training programme is aimed at researchers, APs and others working in unscripted TV, who want to shoot for broadcast, cross shoot and generally be an asset in the field.
Taught by acclaimed, self-shooting producer/directors and series producers this comprehensive course will teach delegates everything there is to know to shoot with confidence for a wide range of factual TV.
The programme will cover setting up and using popular broadcast cameras (such as FX9s, FS7s or C300s), building sequences and shooting for the edit, making the right lens choices, framing and shot composition, as well as lighting and sound to interview techniques.
Delegates will also acquire the key people and soft skills needed to work effectively with contributors and within their production teams, as well as key compliance, logistical and health and safety considerations. Plus, plenty of tips, tricks, and insights.
In addition, delegates will get access to exclusive an online masterclasses covering everything from career planning and development as an AP to managing your mental and physical health.
This session is supported by the ScreenSkills Unscripted TV Skills Fund which invests in training for the unscripted workforce thanks to contributions from broadcasters, SVoDs and production companies.
Who it's for
Researcher, APs or equivalent in unscripted TV who are looking to step up to confident Shooting AP.
This opportunity is for those based in or near Glagow. Other cohorts are also open to applications for those in or near London, Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester and Belfast.
What it covers
- In depth training on FS7 (or similar popular camera) including exposure, shutter speed, ISO, white balance and other basics.
- Understanding and selecting lenses
- Recording broadcast sound
- Composition (framing, crossing the line, rule of thirds etc)
- How to direct with confidence – including controlled action and actuality, creating sequences and interview techniques.
- Getting the best out of contributors
- Shooting for story
- Shooting for the edit - essential cover shots, cut points, GVs, and B-roll.
- Planning shoots
- Trouble shooting
- Compliance and legal considerations
- Managing up and managing down
- Dealing with the pressures of the job, stress and building resilience
- Planning and managing your career as a shooting AP and next steps
Plus, many tips and tricks from our pros along the way!
How to apply
Click "Apply Now" above.
- At least 2-3 years professional industry experience in unscripted TV
- Demonstrate a commitment to becoming a shooting AP
The course is heavily subsidised by ScreenSkills Unscripted TV Skills Fund.
The course fee for delegates is £300 + vat per person.
Additional bursaries of £125 are available to help towards the course fee. Please indicate if you would like to be considered for one of these when applying. We are particularly keen to recruit delegates from the nations and regions, and underrepresented groups, including lower socio-economic backgrounds to ensure we are representative of all.