Motion capture and virtual production for on-set VFX and camera film crew
This couse is designed to introduce professionals with some level of industry experience to the concepts, principles, and applications of motion-capture (mo-cap) as it is deployed in virtual production (VP) environments for animation, films, advertising, and games.
It will provide learners with the practical skills and technical knowledge to use a range of motion-capture systems successfully on productions and understand the creative possibilities afforded by the technology.
Who it's for
This course is aimed at applicants who are working as crew in either VFX or camera departments, with at least one year of professional experience.
What it covers
The course content will include:
Module 1 (2 December) online: Introduction to virtual production workflow and motion capture (eight hrs)
- One two-hour instructor-led class + six hour practice/videos covering (materials must be engaged with prior to the start of the course)
- Virtual production workflow for pre-production, production and post
- Using software and cameras to track motion
- Introduction to camera tracking
Module 2 (6-7 December): on-set virtual production - hands on with motion capture rigging and tracking (16 hours) - delivered in partnership with Target3D
Two full-day in-person training at virtual production Test Stage in London
- Introduction to the basics of the virtual production studio and how these relate to motion capture
- LED wall
- Camera tracking
- 3D game engine
- Control software
- Motion capture workshops
- Motion capture software
- Using mo-cap suits
- Markerless mo-cap
- Uses for virtual production