Film and HETV training for hair stylists and make-up artists 2022-23
- Are you a hair stylist / hairdresser experienced in working with Black hair?
- Are you a make-up artist experienced in working in make-up with people of colour?
- Are you looking to transfer from working in a salon, studio, store, mobile or other sector, and want to work in film or television?
Our hair and make-up programme is back! We are once again seeking experienced, skilled workers to transfer into the booming UK film and television industries.
This free training course will be taught by highly skilled hairdressers, barbers and make-up artists who have extensive experience in the HETV and film industries. Many also have worked in education as tutors and lecturers specialising in teaching their craft.
After successfully completing training, participants will be offered a paid trainee placement on a UK based HETV production for up to 10 weeks. Previous participants have worked on productions such as Bridgerton, The Witcher and Top Boy.
An online introduction to this course is available to view here. Please watch before completing your application.
The programme is funded by the ScreenSkills Film and High-end Television Skills Funds made up of contributions from high-end television productions and films made in the UK.
Who it's for
This training course is designed for hair stylists, hairdressers and make-up artists who have experience in working with black hair and people of colour. It is solely targeted to people who have already gained relevant experience outside of the film and HETV industries.
What it covers
The course will be spilt into two parts: theory based learning done via Zoom and practical, in-person workshops. After the course is complete, each transferer will be offered the opportunity to take up a paid studio placement.
Production bootcamp: interactive online learning sessions, which are spread over four weeks for two days per week, with five to six hours per day. The sessions will begin the week commencing 7 November and you will need to do some research and prep work in between the sessions.
Studio workshops: in person, practical learning sessions provided by expert hairdressers, barbers and make-up designers who all have teaching qualifications/experience and work in TV also. You will get the opportunity to focus on the skills you don’t have or need to ‘brush up’ on the most. Workshops will take place at Make-up United Academy in Salford during January and February 2023. N.B. Funding for travel and accommodation can be made available if necessary.
Work placement: everyone who successfully completes both the bootcamp and workshop sessions will be offered a paid trainee placement on a UK-based high-end TV (HETV which is usually a drama) production for up to 10 weeks as the final stage in the programme. Previous participants have worked on productions such as Bridgerton, The Witcher and Top Boy. Placements will commence in January/February 2023.
The training course will:
- Address your skills gaps in either hairstyling, barbering or make-up artistry to prepare you for work in film and HETV
- Provide you with a key industry skills including how to break down a script, interpret a brief, follow a schedule, call sheet or continuity notes
- Give you a better understanding of how to work as a freelancer, including advice on networking, sourcing working, and promoting your services to hiring managers
- Support you in transitioning into the industry by outlining key industry organisations and resources
- Give you the opportunity to take up a paid work placement on a high-end TV production
How to apply
Watch the recording of our online introduction to this course here.
Click 'apply now' to submit your application.
All applications must be submitted by 2 October.