Funding is available to subsidise the cost of employing and training individuals into higher grades, with the aim that at the end of the training the individual will be already in or able to apply for their next job at the next grade up.
Examples of potential ‘move ups’ could be a location assistant moving up to a unit manager, make-up artist to a make-up supervisor, or production secretary to production coordinator. The scheme covers all departments on a production.
High-end TV Skills Fund-contributing productions can apply for up to £15,000 per production and can be claimed in 2 ways:
- if more than one individual is being stepped up or
- if the individual being proposed is stepping up to the following senior roles: Producer, Line Producer or a Head of Department
For productions supporting only one individual outside those listed above the maximum contribution is £10,000 per production for one individual.
By supporting more than one applicant on each production this ensures the HETV Skills Fund can deliver maximum value for money from its investment.
Priority grades in skill shortage areas to include:
- Production accountant
- Line producer
- Production coordinator
- First assistant director
- Production manager
- Production secretary
- Individuals can only participate in Make a Move after being put forward by their employer
- Individuals on Make a Move are not trainees, but part of a scheme to encourage and promote professional development
- Those put forward for the scheme need to be a professional who is deemed ready to move up to their next career grade
- They can be a completely new person to the team and department or an individual that has already worked with the team on a previous production
- We encourage all productions to talk to us submitting a CV for the individual they would like to step up prior to application - we also ask to speak to all potential participants to ensure they are fully committed to taking part in the scheme
What can Make a Move fund?
The funding is flexible and can be used to cover:
- Travel and accommodation expenses
- Attending short courses
What doesn’t Make a Move fund?
- We are unable to fund retrospective claims. Apply at least 2 weeks before the Make a Move crew member joins the team to allow us to process the associated paperwork
- We are unable to fund individuals who are already working within the grade they are about to move up to unless there is a robust case that the ‘moving up’ will mean they are working differently
- Individuals who have previously been supported through Make a Move or a similar stepping up scheme in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland can only be put forward every two years to be moved up to their next role
In 2019/20 we have additional and enhanced funds for:
Those stepping up to be HODS based in the regions or from an under-represented background, first assistant directors and heads of departments and/or senior crew from under-represented backgrounds: £5,000 per production plus £1,000 each for additional training/mentor support - this additional support MUST be utilised.
A Make a Move fund specifically for production managers moving across to become assistant post-production supervisors: up to £10,000 per production
£5,000 per production specifically focused on production grades to move up (this can include accounts, locations and production team)
How to apply
Please contact our senior high-end TV new entrant manager Nicky Ball on firstname.lastname@example.org, or give her a call on 07432 591 375.