High-end TV bursaries for freelancers: apply for up to £1,000 towards training costs
- Owner: ScreenSkills
- Location: UK
- Age: 18+
High-end TV bursaries are currently supporting training in the following departments:
- Assistant directors (ADs) & Locations
- Art & Construction
- Hair & Make-Up
- Lighting & Electrical
- Post and VFX
- Rigging & Grip
ScreenSkills are providing bursaries of up to £800 specifically for Da Vinci Resolve to allow colourists to hone their mastery of the software through short courses and to take their grading skills to the next level.
You can apply for a high-end TV bursary if:
- You can demonstrate proven professional experience of working regularly in the UK screen industries. Dailies work is acceptable as long as it is on broadcast material and you have more than three credits. Trainee experience does not count. Work undertaken at film school or in education is also not considered suitable experience;
- You have been accepted on the training course(s) you want to attend;
- You are able to demonstrate how the training you are applying for will benefit your career to progress within the HETV industry;
And the course you want to attend:
- Falls under the priority departments, and skills, identified above;
- Starts no earlier than one working day after the date your application is received by ScreenSkills
- Is delivered by a recognised training provider
- Must have started before 31 March 2019
You cannot apply if you:
- Are in full-time education
- Are employed on a permanent contract
- Do not have a permanent UK address
- Are applying on behalf of an organisation
The deadline for applications is 31 March 2019. However, these funds are in high demand and will close when all of the funds have been allocated, which may be before this date.
You may only apply for up to £1,000 of funding per financial year but you can apply for more than one course. The training course must start at least one day after your application is made – we cannot accept applications for training which has already begun.
How to apply
The first page of the application is an eligibility test. Should you be successful you will be directed to the online form. This takes you through the application step by step and should not take more than 30 minutes to complete. Before you start filling in the form, make sure you have the following information available:
- The name of your chosen training course(s)
- The name and address of the training provider
- The cost of the training and any additional travel, accommodation and childcare costs
- The dates of your training
- Your CV ready to upload
- Copy of your acceptance on the course and confirmation of the course costs ready to upload (either a company headed letter or email from the training provider)
- Direct link to or copy of the course outline ready to upload
Once you have completed the application form and attached your supporting documents you must press the submit icon on your screen. Until you do this, your application has not been submitted to ScreenSkills to be assessed.
You will automatically be sent a receipt of application email with a tracking number. If you do not receive this, please check your junk mailbox and if it is not there contact us immediately.
What happens next?
If your application is successful you will receive an offer email and letter outlining the offer and our terms and conditions (see below). You must accept the offer within two weeks of the date of the email. This means signing the offer letter and returning it to us electronically with your bank details. We may also ask for proof of your address – this will be indicated in your offer letter. Any offers not accepted within two weeks will be withdrawn. ScreenSkills cannot release any funding until we receive your signed offer letter.
You will know if your grant application has been successful within four weeks of the date your full application is received.
If you decide to attend training before receiving notification from ScreenSkills, ScreenSkills does not accept responsibility for funding your attendance should your bursary be declined or considered ineligible. Please bear in mind that to ensure equality of opportunity we cannot speed up the assessment process. If we offer you funding for training but you no longer wish to accept it, please let us know in writing.
How will my grant be paid?
Your funding will be paid directly into your personal bank account in two stages:
- Stage 1: 50% of your grant will be paid to you on receipt of your signed offer letter;
- Stage 2: 50% of your award will be paid on receipt of your proof of expenditure (copies of receipts from your childcare, travel and accommodation costs) and confirmation from the training provider that you have completed the training.
Please note that you are responsible for paying the training provider. ScreenSkills does not accept responsibility for transferring funds to training providers.
If your application is unsuccessful we will notify you by email.
Please address any queries to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bursaries will not support:
- Training or qualifications that fall outside the area of scripted HETV
- Full-time graduate, postgraduate, degree or diploma courses
- Training that is already supported by other Creative Skillset funds
- Training that is due to start earlier than one day after the date your application is received by ScreenSkills
- Training not arranged through a recognised industry training provider or assessment centre
- Attendance at networking, festivals or social events
- The purchase of equipment
It can take up to four weeks for us to reach a decision on your application. If you decide to go on your course before you receive a decision, ScreenSkills does not accept responsibility for funding your attendance. Wherever possible, please try to allow four weeks between making your application to ScreenSkills and your course starting.
How much should you ask for?
You may apply for up to 80% of the combined fees, travel and accommodation costs of your training (including childcare costs if applicable), up to a maximum of £1000 inclusive of VAT.
Travel and accommodation costs
ScreenSkills only pay travel and accommodation costs in addition to the course fees, we cannot pay them in isolation.
Travel and accommodation costs will only be supported if your training is held more than 50 miles from your permanent home address. You may need to provide proof of address if your application is successful.
Travel and accommodation will be supported at ScreenSkills' standard rate:
- Overnight accommodation within the UK but outside London - £60 per night
- Overnight accommodation in London - £90 per night
- Flights – economy rates only
- Rail travel – standard class fares only
- Car travel – 45p per mile
ScreenSkills can only pay a contribution to childcare costs in addition to the course fees, we cannot pay them in isolation. Rates are as follows:
- Up to a maximum of £40 per day within London;
- Up to a maximum of £30 per day outside London but within the UK
Please provide a breakdown of your costs on your application form. If your application is successful you must provide proof of childcare, travel and accommodation costs.
Diversity and inclusion
ScreenSkills champions inclusivity in the UK screen industries. We are committed to improving the diversity and inclusion within the industry’s workforce. ScreenSkills encourages and welcomes applications from people working in all nations and regions of the UK and believes that no one should feel excluded because of their background, circumstances or beliefs.
ScreenSkills' High-end TV Skills Fund, previously known as the high-end TV levy, is fully funded by industry investment from levy contributions paid on scripted high-end TV productions since April 2013. The fund addresses the skills and training needs of the high-end TV industry to create jobs and training opportunities, and to strengthen and build skills to ensure the robust growth of the sector is secured with a fully skilled and growing workforce.
We have ensured all the information you require is listed above. Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to take phone calls regarding bursaries. However, if you do have a query please email: email@example.com.
Applications will be individually assess by ScreenSkills' bursaries team.