First Break: Salford boot camp
- Owner: ScreenSkills
- Location: Salford
- Age: 18+
Days leftApplications closed
First Break is a project that supports people at the start of their career or thinking about a behind-the-camera career in television drama.
ScreenSkills have partnered with ITV on Coronation Street and Emmerdale where they will support, nurture and encourage participants who are considering a role behind the camera; giving you the tools, knowledge and a comprehensive taster of work experience across the production process.
If you have always wanted to work in television drama but don’t have the experience, industry contacts or qualifications, First Break could be for you. We are looking for participants who are keen to learn, who are enthusiastic, hardworking and who are passionate and interested in working in TV. You can find out more about the sort of jobs available in TV drama here.
To be sure we reach a wide reach of new talent we have established the following eligibility and entry criteria that you must meet some of:
- You have an interest in working in TV drama i.e. camera, sound, edit, makeup etc. Please note this is a behind the scenes support programme and not for actors
- You live near ITV’s production bases in Media City UK, Salford and Central Leeds.
- You are 18 or older
- You are a career changer who often finds that a barrier to entry-level jobs is your lack of work experience.
- You have been in the care system and are a care leaver
- At the time of your application, you are unemployed or low waged/claiming some benefits or have attended further education – BTEC and NVQs
- You live in the UK and have evidence of the right to work in the UK
We particularly welcome applications from women in the technical department and men in creative arts, people from a black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) background and disabled people.
If you have already attended the Salford Open Doors, you are eligible to apply to come to stage two boot camp:
Stage two: boot camp – an industry overview and working at ITV
Location: ITV Media City UK, Salford
Date: 12 October 2019, 9am – 4pm
The boot camp will include the following:
- Welcome and introduction from ScreenSkills and ITV team
- What to expect and what’s expected from a job at ITV’s Coronation Street and Emmerdale
- Job roles, how the industry works
- Departments: who does what and who heads up each department
- Basics of set etiquette
- Working safely on a production
- Working in a team, working hours and working as a freelance
- What next – how to apply for the three-week paid work experience opportunity