Employment in the screen industries
Many professionals working in the screen industries are self-employed:
- film and TV production: of 71,000 professionals 50% are employed and 50% are freelancer
- film and TV post-production: of 13,000 professionals 61% are employed and 39% are freelancer
- film and TV programme distribution: of 9,000 professionals 92% are employed and 8% are freelancer
- film exhibition: of 19,000 professionals 100% are employed
- TV programming and broadcasting: of 56,000 professionals 88% employed and 12% are freelancer
Reason for working with freelancers
Employers give the following reasons for working with freelancers:
- the short-term nature of projects makes freelancers the best fit (75%)
- the temporary nature of the work (72%)
- it allows them to find specific expertise (58%)
How often does your organisation work with freelancers?
The vast majority of organisations, 86%, works with freelancers. Nearly half of these (47%) works very frequently with freelancers, 32% frequently, 47% occasionally, 15% rarely and 2% very rarely.