Nineteen Leaders of Tomorrow were selected in the pilot programme in 2021. They all worked behind the camera and came from a range of departments.
- Annie Little, hair and make-up, London
- Charlotte Van Der Haer Richardson, costume, North West
- Chris Bullock, location sound, South East
- Cory Townsend, locations, Scotland
- David Crewdson, art dept, South West
- Emma Marie Cramb, edit, London
- Florence Watson, production, London
- George Thompson, location sound, London
- Hannah Lewis, assistant director, London
- Heather Crompton, camera, Yorkshire
- Jamie Lee Aird, production, Scotland
- Kiri Degon, post-production, London
- Monika Chowdhary Kuczynski, VFX, London
- Ola Kaminska-Omozik, accounts, Northern Ireland
- Payam Hosseinian, post sound, London
- Rachel Erskine, edit, Scotland
- Rianna Charles, costume, South East
- Sanjay Sharma, production, London
- Victoria Nugent, hair and make-up, Wales
Fifteen places were supported by the High-end TV Skills Fund with industry contributions from high-end TV productions, with Netflix, Sky Studios funding an additional place each and the BBC a further two.
They each have access and resources tailored to what they need to progress to head of department or to a decision-making role in the future.
Individuals can only apply for the programme after being recommended by a nominator. The nominator must work at a senior level within high-end TV. This will need to be evidenced in the application.
The programme provides:
- A mentor/champion
- Access to an HETV professionals pool of industry experts for tailored one-to-one support, advice and expertise
- Up to three part-funded placements per year for up to three years
- Bespoke grade and skills-specific training
- Networking opportunities and introductions
David Crewdson, who works in the art department described his experience: “The LOT programme has been a fantastic opportunity for me. It has introduced me to a network of support and training that has accelerated my progression within the industry. Beyond tailored professional training and an experienced hand-picked mentor it has also provided essential access to funding that has facilitated on-the-job experience and shadowing of established personnel that has been crucial to my own development.”
Payam Hosseinian, who works in post sound said: "Through mentorship and placements, LoT has opened doors for me. Doors that I felt were closed for years. Through the programme, I'm meeting people who are very generous with their time and are not afraid to go the extra mile in order to make our industry a better place for all of us."
Monika Chowdhary Kuczynski, who works in VFX added: “The access to leadership, management and communication training, as well as professional coaching through Leaders Of Tomorrow, has been immensely empowering. The scheme has really allowed me to identify and promote my strengths and take a seat at “the table”, so to speak. It’s also introduced me to a cohort of incredibly talented, driven and downright lovely people whom I now consider friends.”
What is HETV Leaders of Tomorrow?
High-end TV Leaders of Tomorrow is a three-year inclusive programme focused on providing comprehensive support to mid-level professionals working in high-end TV to give them the tools to progress to head of department or other senior decision-making leadership roles in the future.
Who can apply?
We are looking for mid-level freelance professionals who have 2+ HETV credits within their current role. Leaders of Tomorrow is a UK wide programme and we aim to give opportunity to talented individuals across nations and regions.
Do I have to be nominated to apply?
Yes – you need a senior person working within HETV to nominate you. They could be an HOD or senior leader working within HETV.
Can I apply if I work for a company or a broadcaster in a staff role?
This programme is for freelancers so unfortunately, we cannot support staff roles.
What departments/roles are you supporting this year?
NB: We are not supporting producers this year. For more information about our co-producer placement programme please click here.
- Art dept, including props and crafts
- Assistant director
- Hair and make up
- Location sound
- Post production
What are you looking for in an application?
We are looking for people who can really demonstrate their ambition and desire to take that next step towards a leadership role.
How do I apply?
Candidates will be able to apply through the ScreenSkills website when applications are next open.
Who decides who is selected for the programme?
We work with a team of industry experts who will assist us in shortlisting, interviewing and final selection.
What support will I be offered if I am selected for the programme?
- A mentor
- Access to an high-end TV professionals pool, made up of industry experts, for tailored one to one support, advice and expertise
- Up to three funded placements per year for up to three years.
- Targeted grade and skills specific bespoke training
- Leadership and Management and Mental Health training
- PR exposure, industry networking opportunities and introductions
When will I know if I have been successful?
We anticipate that all candidates who will be asked to attend an interview will be notified by 2 September 2022. All candidates will be notified of the success of their application by 7 October 2022.
For more information about the HETV Leaders of Tomorrow programme, please contact Hannah Green.